Banner

Banner

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Ode to death

I’ve moved from work place to work place,
continent to continent,
friend to friend,
lover to lover,
and in that passing
I’ve intruded, wounded and scarred
out of love or its illusion,
and have likewise suffered disfigurement
blemishes that I wear lightly
for landmarks fascinate me,
for signposts sketch journeys
and help chronicle the history
of the tracing of trails.
I’ve moved also from prison to prison.
Willing incarceration and resisted captivity,
also sketch a biography,
I have learnt.
And I have used the word
to register what some call captivity,
knowing also that my prison notebooks
are also songs of liberation,
that they make rain
a celestial drizzle
that slowly dissolves
all the rocks that burden your heart.

[From the collection 'The Underside of Silence', shortlisted for the Gratiaen Award 2008]

LEAVE A COMMENT

No comments :

Post a Comment