Banner

Banner

Friday 28 October 2011

Notes on Silence

I
Silence is a lifetime;
made of waiting
of a dream desired that never arrives,
of love that will not accept caress,
of a heart that refuses to bleed,
or slams shut its door to the most innocent query.

II
Silence is a continent;
a barren landscape that I have walked
that I am walking,
where a multiplicity of mirages
tease the heart’s eye
in merciless bombardment.

III
Silence is made of rain
each drop an ancient ocean
upon whose shores I knelt and prayed
for your arrival.

IV
Silence is night time,
a full moon blighted by impediments
of cloud and trees,
blurring, shredding,
and moonlight falling like tears upon my heart.

V
Silence comes even with the smile of daybreak
that delicate heartbreaking rupture of night;
it turns back sunlight
and tells me softly,
“the long night has not ended,
and perhaps it never will”.

VI
Silence,
Is made of a beautiful heart,
marked by refusal.
yielding a harvest:
centuries of waiting
and tears that will not fall
for fear of disturbing the earth that is you. 


[the above is a SINGLE poem and was also shortlisted for the Gratiaen Award 2008]

No comments :

Post a Comment