Banner

Banner

Friday 30 September 2011

Myself

(for all our children)

I am colour-driven and song-driven,
did you know?
I am the world you abandoned,
the dream you erased,
made of toys, sand castles
and insects,
swings, matslides and see-saws.
I am magician too;
I turn you into encyclopedia and prophet.
I am the one who fell,
who bruised a knee and stubbed a toe
tripped over a careless word,
an adult trap,
bled and cried.
I forget easily and forgive too
for I like clinging on to a little finger,
I have things to show
I have things to tell.
I am colour-driven
and song-driven,
did you know?

I do dishes and carry guns
heavy loads too,
twice my size,
look after babies
colour-driven and song-driven
just like me.

I am the you you’ve forgotten,
the you you’ve left behind,
colour-driven
and song-driven,
didn't you know?


[from the collection 'Threads', shortlisted for the Gratiaen Award 2007]

No comments :

Post a Comment